Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Final Project Proposal

For my final project, I want to rhetorically analyze the pathetic appeals in one of Sarah McLachlan’s SPCA commercials. These commercials pathetically appeal to viewers through audio, video, and written/spoken language. I specifically want to analyze the SPCA commercial below.





In the equivalent of a double-spaced eight page research paper, I will rhetorically analyze the commercial for its pathetic appeal.

· Describe the context (Where did I find the video? Who is the audience, given the context?)

· Explain the emotion(s) this video provokes and how (Here, I will focus heavily on the imagery and audio within the video. I want to also research what affects audio can have on us, especially music by Sarah Mclachlan with a somewhat somber tone.)

· Explain what sort of behavior this video inspires (What does the video want the audience to do? Does it want the audience to buy something?)

· Explain the interpretation that ties the affect to the desired behavior

· If the video appeals to stereotypical “types”, say so. If there are any ideas or symbols within the video that will likely resonate with a certain segment of a population, say so.

· Include video or audio that may help explain anything within the analysis

I will submit my final project for in-class review and review the final projects of my partners on the assigned class day.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a good project, Samantha. It may be that this one video won't be quite substantial enough on its own to meet the expectations of the assignment. If that turns out to be the case (you'll have to judge for yourself), my suggestion would be to situate this ad up against other similar ads and demonstrate how the same techniques are used more broadly. Make sense? So your focus would remain this ad, but you'd situate it in a broader context.

    ReplyDelete